Saturday, February 27, 2016
Associate Professor in Modern Turkey: History, Language, Culture - University of Oslo
A permanent (tenure) position of Associate Professor in Modern Turkey: History, Language, Culture is available at the Department of Culture Studies and Oriental Languages, University of Oslo.
The holder of the position is expected to initiate and lead research related to historical, social and cultural developments in Turkey in the period after the middle of the 19th century, to supervise PhD and MA candidates, to participate in teaching, exam setting and evaluation at all levels, and to carry out administrative duties in accordance with the needs of the Department. The successful candidate will play a central role in further development of high-quality research and teaching in Middle East Studies at the Department in collaboration with colleagues, and is expected to take active part in the activities at the Department’s Centre for Islamic and Middle East Studies Center.
•PhD or equivalent academic qualifications with a specialization in the study of Turkey or The Ottoman Empire after the middle of the 19th century
•The ability to use oral and written Turkish language sources in research and in courses taught at all levels
•Pedagogical skills and a willingness to take active part in academic leadership and administration, see How to document your pedagogical skills
•Personal suitability and motivation for the position
The following qualifications will be taken into account in the assessment of the applicants:
•Academic qualifications and academic production with a focus primarily on the study of historical, social and cultural developments in Turkey in the period after the middle of the 19th century; with an emphasis on works published within the last 5 years. Originality and innovative thinking are preferred to quantity
• Ability to contribute to the teaching of courses in Turkish language on all levels
• International peer-reviewed publications
• Potential to contribute to the long-term development of the academic and research environment at the department
• Positive results in external fund raising
• Pedagogical qualifications and ability to inspire students
• Interest, ability and/or experience in management and administration
• Collaborative skills and willingness to initiate joint projects
• Experience with collaboration across established academic disciplines, and ability to build international networks
• Communication and public outreach skills
• Candidates with a high-level of proficiency in another Turkic language or one of the other main languages of the Middle East may be given priority
In the assessment of the qualified candidates all criteria listed above will be explicitly addressed and assessed. The quality of published academic work, development potential and breadth of intellectual/academic interest will be prioritized in this order.
Full announcement: http://uio.easycruit.com/vacancy/1513033/62042?iso=no
Posted by Tugrul Keskin at 1:23 PM